Size Doesn't Matter


Does SIZE matter?

I am sure if we undertake a survey many of us would say BIG is good, a BIG MEAL or a BIG HUG or aBIG EGO. Before I let your imagination run wild on what else could be BIG, I wish to share with u a recent incident. I was busy typing to glory on my laptop – when I heard a meek ladylike voice “I am doing my diploma in FS, yes sir it is the in thing now, many organizations’ including police are utilizing our services, I have cleared my first year. Sir FS means Forensic Science - another show off I thought and continued with my work.

The conversation must have gone on for about a minute or two after which a manly voice claimed “meri ladki hai saab” - she is my daughter. The voice seemed familiar and I stretched to get a glimpse. I could not identify the man as I could not see his face. The girl then thanked and said “ok sir, have a great week ahead”. As they walked towards me, I could see this young girl clutching the hands of the man and whispering sheepishly…”mee jast nahi na bollele” meaning “hope I haven’t spoken too much”.

Proud at his daughter’s achievement the father’s chest swelled with pride as he walked past me – head held high, a broad smile on his face –which made his face glow. Ramdhin, a peon working with us for almost 21 years who could not complete his schooling had brought his young daughter to office. She had almost completed college and was ready to face the world, confident and bold. At work, Ramdhin doesn’t have too many moments of pride. This day was different. The moment he walked away, I sat down <P>reflecting on life…

At the same time I was messaging a dear friend who was advising me “I guess it’s high time you breathe easy”… for those who do not know, I can get pushy at times and it can be unnerving. I pushed aside my laptop and started to think, I normally think, but this time it was different. Life gives us so many beautiful moments. These moments give us the satisfaction of a lifetime. Things that we often ignore and overlook, things those are precious.
Why do we need a sense of achievement?
Why are we so focused on results?
Why are we so crazy about success?

As I recalled some incidents from my life there was as smile on my face. Moments  – not momentous but memorable.
®   The first time my father gifted me a toy plane for standing first in exams in class 1. In fact he had already bought the plane without knowing the results – was he confident or did he simply want to gift me a plane? Who cares? What mattered to me was that when my father heard the result – he presented me with the plane.
®   The first time my friend Robin cheered for me as I competed in a race – prodding me to run faster.
®   The first time when the teacher punished me – asking me to sit amongst girls – those days it was the cardinal punishment any boy could get.
®   The first time  I held my baby in my arms …
well the list can be endless

Friends we get too busy with achievement, results and success that we forget to enjoy those lovely moments of life. Some of which may never ever come back. Though we cannot stay away from achievement, results and success – we can enjoy life. Take a chill pill, without paying any bill ;) dive into the pool of happiness and let the ripples spread as we share.

Now I look at life with a different scale – I no longer believe in “bigger the better” or “small is beautiful”. It’s about enjoying what comes my way. You may choose to agree with me “SIZE DOESN’T MATTER

Comments

Unknown said…
hi good story.. i started a blog myself and plan to continue penning my thoughts... mostly self reflective on life and the essence of living to the fullest.. keep up the writing.

Popular posts from this blog

The Nudge!

Black or white?

The Pause Effect!