Two Minutes

Imagine this: A group of kids playing outdoors. One of them feels hungry, runs to her mother, and says, “Mummy, I am hungry.” The doting mom, showing a victory sign with two fingers, says “Two minutes”. Eagerly the kids wait for the two minutes to get over, wondering what is in store. The excited kids frolic, playfully steal from each other, slurping down the last bit. This image stayed with my cousins and me when we watched it on a Black and White Television. The cost of one packet would be that of about half a litre of milk, so it was a "TREAT" that one could indulge in only on special occasions.

Having no access to such privilege, we had to wait a long time before we could get our hands on it. A few summers ago, my older cousins who were permitted to use the gas stove volunteered to help. The first step was to read the instructions carefully and follow it to the T. We did exactly that, or so we believed. We anxiously saw it being cooked, waiting to grab our portion as soon as it was ready. One minute, two minutes, three minutes, four, five... something is wrong we all felt. The water did not settle and all we could see was bubbling coloured water. Having reached the end of our patience we turned off the gas, took bowls and poured it in equal portions. The steam escaping from the bowl did not act as a deterrent.   As the first spoonful went into the mouth. Phurrrrr! Yuck! Yikes! words started spluttering. Since we could not dump it, we finished our portion and silently went to the hammock under the tree to rest our overfilled bellies. "Never AGAIN" I screamed silently and wowed to never touch it. Any mention of the two minutes fast to make food and I would cringe. Often wondered how people can really relish it.

Having working parents meant that we were left with a caretaker. As kids that seemed to be a punishment as we had so many restrictions. Being a naughty (no T) child, my parents were flooded with complaints and they had to frequently change the caretaker. At one caretaker there was someone who was very rude and would always complain about what I did to my parents. Even at an age where kids knew only love, I HATED her. So much so that later when my elder cousin decided to have the same name for my niece, I protested and gave an ultimatum.
"If you name her X****** I will not visit you ever" an empty threat but filled with hatred for the name due to my experience as a kid. Thankfully, my niece was given a much better name and things looked bright. It is a different thing that my threat had nothing to do with the naming ;)

When I was in class five, we moved to another house which had a lawn, trees and open space. After school, I would return, have lunch, and spend my afternoons relaxing under the tree. One fine day a kitten walked into our compound meowing. It was an instant connect as I picked up the kitten and gave it some milk. Soon the kitten started visiting us every day and then refused to leave. Sunny, the sunshine yellow coloured cat became a part of the family. It stayed with us and after school, I would play with him. After 3 years of togetherness, when I picked up Sunny to place him on the chair one day, he turned around, scratched, and bit me. I was stunned.  Sunny jumped over the compound wall and never returned. That incident left an indelible mark and since that day I HATE CATS.

Life forces us to take some decisions and make some choices, at which even we are surprised. Soon I had to leave the comforts of the home and family as I joined an Engineering college. Having so support from parents nor having the luxury of affording a maid, we had to cook for ourselves since there were only a few restaurants and we could not afford the luxury of eating out every day. It was during this period that my roommate made the TWO-minute food. Having nothing else to eat, I decided to give it a try. Somehow this tasted different and with each preparation I started to like it. I no longer had "ill feelings" and realised that I am enjoying it.

In corporate life I came across several people and suddenly I met someone who was a fun loving, caring and a sensible person named X******. Today I have three people with the same name as my friends and I speak highly of them. I realised that my hatred for the name stemmed from a bad experience and it probably prevented me from looking at the person.

I was judging the book by its cover.

Often such one-time experiences shape our perceptions and beliefs. Our past impacts how we look at things now. These lead to assumptions and preconceived notions that forces us to think and behave in a certain manner. These perceptions end up being our reality unless there is another experience that overrides them. It is not easy to let go of our past experiences however the least we can do is remain open to new experiences without being bias.

Today I love the two-minutes ready to make food now which is an integral part of my life. People named X****** are my friends and there is no love lost. I am working hard to love cats, but if it is any solace my pet name is Billy – cat in Hindi :) the closest I could get to loving cats.

We need to think beyond the past occurrences that leave a lasting impression and be open to accepting life and experiences. Life is exciting, fun, and adventurous if we look beyond the not-so-good experiences which lasted no more than Two Minutes.

Comments

Unknown said…
What a wonderful piece of writing! It enforced me to introspect and recall those not so good memories associated with names, objects or experiences. This article will certainly help me to remove my biases and treat those incidents just as accidents!
Top Gun said…
Thank you :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Nudge!

Black or white?

The Pause Effect!